Edith Pierce said: “We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.”
A new year is a good time to review guiding principles that can help our lives, especially during these challenging times (the pandemic, civil unrest, etc.).
I want to give you a brief overview of how I believe my 6-Up Principles can help generate success and happiness for you in the year ahead (2021).
- Start-up—You “Start Up” your year by setting concrete goals. Examples – A) elevate the lives of your employees by reaching $1 Million in sales for your company; B) post powerful insights once a week on social media; C) exercise 4 times a week and lose 15 pounds; or D) write thank you notes every Sunday to those who have had a positive impact on your life. In my book “Up Your Game,” I note that starting up includes thinking first of others. Make sure to have at least some of your goals centered on others.
- Show-up—one of my adopted mantras is that 90 percent of success in life is achieved by just showing up. In 2021, be willing to show up for others, even if it involves a little bit of personal risk. Sometimes, you cannot show up in person . . .so show up and be heard online and use LinkedIn to foster and expand business relationships.
- Follow-up—I’ve found that this simple principle is often neglected. 90% of people do not follow up within 24 hours. Be part of the unique 10% that follow up quickly, and in a thoughtful and powerful way. If you can increase your capacity to follow-up, you will find a greater measure of success in your day-to-day lives.
- Link-up—this simple question can help you feel less “distanced” from others in 2021: “How can I connect with others?” This question should be followed by the mantra: “You can learn something from everyone.”
- Stand-up—never do anything that will cause people to question your integrity. Be known for something positive. Think of powerful ways that you can do this remotely. 2021 will be a year in which many people will be working from home, but find a way to Stand UP even from your home.
- Scale-up—be able to demonstrate the ability to expand your network of resources. Add 100 people a week as LinkedIn connections. Think of viral/organic ways to scale your business. The people that succeed in 2021 will need to be creative in how to expand their businesses – even from a distance. I challenge you to be resourceful and creative in 2021.